Monday, March 26, 2007

The drummer is the quiet one

So, as you may have read on one of Ali's earlier posts, she is excited about buying a guitar.
I got to thinking, and decided if I could pick just one instrument to learn, it would be the drums. Not the most practical in an apartment, but I always thought the drummer was the cool one of the group.
They're kind of tucked away in the back, and they just rock out without really saying anything.
They always have the crazy hair, and can totally get away with wearing jeans and a T-shirt, which is my staple.
Plus, I always think the coolest part of a concert is when the band finishes their set and the drummer tosses his/her drumsticks into the crowd.
That, and I'm lazy. Why stand to play an instrument, when you can have your own chair?
Now, I just have to master the spinning-of-the-drumstick-while-pointing-to-the-topless-chick move, and I'll be set. (If Ali says it's OK.)
Besides that, every good song needs a cowbell. Gotta have more cowbell........

2 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Drummers. Hm.

Sitting down does not make it the easy option. In my experience, it is the drummer who ends the evening with a puddle of sweat on the floor around him.

Drummers also have a reputation for being a bit dim - not clever enough to play a proper instrument. As the very old joke goes: "What do you call a guy who hangs around with musicians? A drummer!" Or: "What is the difference between a drummer and a drum machine? You only have to punch the rhythm into a drum machine ONCE!"

That said, I always wanted to learn drums but my dyspraxia made it impossible. Plus anyone who has heard Neil Peart play will know that drummers ARE musicians.

PS for a quiet option you can get electronic kits that plug into your PC!

mr zig said...

I don't wanna work, I just wanna bang on my drums all day..... (remember that song?)