Thursday, October 29, 2009

Oh no, it's the H1N1 shot!!!!

Yesterday, I waited in line for about 15 minutes and got the feared shot.
I figure I want to be covered to protect Ali and Ellery, and we do have a lot of patients that come from the higher risk areas of the province.

So many people are on the fence about this shot. The only issue that I have with this flu shot, is that it's not available without the preservative Thimerosal. This a derivative from mercury, and there haven't been sufficient scientific test done to show what effects this may have on kids from 6-35 months.

If we do decide to get Ellery immunized, I'd opt for the Thimerosal free one.

Aside form that, it was entertaining to watch some staff play up their reactions from the shot, varying from a sore arm, to sweating, nausea, or headache. I was talking with a friend of mine, and we said this would be such an easy way to squeeze a few extra sick days out of the system.
I for one, do not abuse my sick time, so I'll report for duty as any good employee would.
For the record, my arm is just slightly tender. Maybe I should stay home...;)

3 comments:

Rock Chef said...

A tender arm? Take it easy, I think that is at least a long-weekend, say through to Wednesday!

I don't think that we will be getting any jabs for this. We strongly suspect that it was a jab (MMR) that triggered the illness that killed my daughter. The doctors deny it, but then again they have denied all sorts of stuff that we have total proof of so we don't really have much faith in anything they say!

Keep well!

Mike said...

I had mine yesterday too... no line ups! I was at the clinic already for a checkup and on my way out the doc asked me if I wanted one...

like you my arm is a little sore, but its nothing really.

James said...

Hi Chris.

I am with Rock Chef on this one. We had a paramedic who told us he was not going to get himself or his children innoculated. That was his professional judgement.
Our 3 year old has just had the swine flu, she was quite ill for about a week but once her temperature went down that was the worst over with. Small Son has just had it confirmed too this week. I guess we will all get it.

We also stopped the girls having the cervical cancer jab after we looked into it and weighed it up.