Thursday, December 6, 2007

OUCH!!! Son of a .....

I went for my steroid injection today. I decided that if an injection was going to give me 3-6 months relief at a time, let's do it.

I arrived early to check in, and go put on my fashionable gown.
After a few minutes, the Doctor, his Fellow, 1 resident, and 1 nurse led me into the procedure room.
I was placed face down on an x-ray table, as placement is very precise during this injection.
They started with a little freezing. Everything was going o.k. After a few minutes, I told the Doctor that my left leg was starting to hurt.
His Fellow (a Doctor which has finished his residency, and is taking further education) stepped in to inset the stylet and the IV contrast to again check placement. At this point, my leg was slowly starting to hurt more and more.
He said "you'll feel a little pressure here." Boy, did I. It was such a different feeling, one that only a pregnant woman opting for an epidural or a person getting a spinal tap would appreciate.

After a few more pokes, prods, and episodes of "pressure", he looked at the attending Doctor.
He explained that they were having difficulty putting the contrast into the right space, as I had quite a bit of scar tissue around the "bad" vertebrae.
They took the time to set up two TV monitors beside me, where "I could watch what they were doing-for my viewing pleasure."
I could stand watching for a few minutes, but then the pain took over, and it took all I had not to roll onto my side into a comfortable position.
By the time this supposed 10 minute procedure was almost done, we were going on minute 50.
During one of the final shots, I told the Doctor I was feeling nauseated and very flushed.
The Doctor told me that was normal, what was happening was called a "vagal response" where too much stimulation of the Vagus nerve caused a brief moment of lowered blood pressure.
I know from Nursing experience that when inserting a suppository, or disimpacting somebody can give a person a similar response. Thankfully, they weren't anywhere near my ......area.
I went white as a sheet, and felt as if I had the flu. I sat around for a minute, drinking some water and making small talk, but to be honest, I don't remember much of what I was saying.
After I got my color back, I was led back into the office where I got dressed and went to go greet Ali. She said I was still pale. The Doctor said I was looking waaaay better.

So, here I sit four hours later, still a little stiff, and with a slight headache. The good news is, I get to see Butterbean tonight, and see if the bean has beans or no beans.

Overall, I say this was worth the pain. They now know where to go the first time next time, so no hour long procedure for me. I can only compare it to chewing on a mouthful of tin foil, while getting bitten by a dog. Good night.

1 comment:

Rock Chef said...

Agh, that sounds awful! I hate injections at the best of time, even the sissy little ones like when you give blood.

Hope it all works well in the end.