Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pets

I grew up with dogs and cats for most of my life.
I consider myself to be a dog person, and hopefully one day, my family will enjoy a dog, probably after we buy a house.
It's amazing how attached we get to our pets. When they die, it's like losing a part of your family.
My parents adopted a shepherd cross from the humane society a few years back, and finally old age caught up to her, and my parents had to euthanize her. The way they looked at it was that they gave her another 3 good years of life.
My parents are now talking about getting two new puppies. They are a Jack Russel/Westhighland Terrier cross, and will be a little easier to handle due to their size...
Now Ellery gets to (indirectly) have a dog. They will grow up with her, and she will know the joys of owning a dog, without dealing with the mess.

3 comments:

Irene said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your parents' dog passing away :(

On a positive note, the Jack Russel/Westie mix sounds adorable. My parents have jack russell/fox terrier mix and he is an awesome dog.
I hope your parents realize that terriers are big dogs in little bodies (they need lots of play time and training or they get pretty destructive!).
And yes, I think that's awesome that Ellery will get to have a dog (indirectly, but still counts).

Hope all is well with the fam!

Rock Chef said...

I grew up with dogs, my mom did rescuing so we ended up with loads! After the last one died, we didn't get another dog for 7 years. Now we have Custard, who is the best family dog you could ever wish for.

It is good for children to grow up with animals.

Mike said...

sorry to hear about sky... she was an awesome dog. Give your parents my best.